Sunday, September 26, 2010

Chapter 4 Readicide

I have just got through reading Chapter 4 in Readicide. I enjoyed this chapter and had many thoughts as I was reading it. I am going to try and go through them as clearly as possible but feel overwhelmed with the many thoughts I had.

I had a little bit of a laugh when I read the first part about the child coming home and stating that she hated her reading teacher because she kept stopping them to analyze what they had just read. The author stated this was one of the many travesties of the reading class. Um......I just got through listening to Module 4 which had about 6 podcasts that taught us how to analyze the reading material to develop greater understanding. We were told to stop and discuss and to talk about predictions and to have the students express their thoughts to analyze comprehension of the text. They seem to be at a contradiction to each other. So, I'm confused. Who is right??? Each side seems reasonable.

I tried to think about how I was taught to read (although this was MANY moons ago). I remember that somehow I just picked up on reading myself. My mother was a very busy mother to six kids that did not have time to sit and read to us. I, however, was one of these kids that could keep myself busy for hours on end with any project that required concentration whether it be Lincoln Logs or coloring books. I remember going into kindergarten and rebelling at the teachers because I already knew my letters and was kind of bored with what they had me doing. That did not go over very well. I guess times don't change.

I continued my school years always being in advanced reading classes. I remember going to the library in the third grade and picking out a book that was clearly beyond third grade level. The librarian proceeded to tell me that they would only let me check out books that I will read. I proceeded to tell her that I had planned to read that book. Incensed, she made me read a passage out of that book. After I read the passage in a clear, coherent fashion, she looked at me like I ate her dog. So, needless to say, I was not encouraged to be a reader throughout school.

I eventually began to dislike reading. I couldn't be bothered because TV was much more fun. Also, reading Romeo and Juliet in eighth grade was torture (much like the Mr. Gallagher talked about teaching Hamlet). John Steinbeck's The Pearl was akin to a root canal and lets not even talk about The Great Gatsby. It wasn't until my senior year that a reading assignment in my Current Events class that changed my view on the whole subject. The teacher let us choose which book we could read from a cart full of choices. I chose Shirley McClaine's autobiography because I was always fascinated with how famous people became famous. I could not put the book down. What a great life Shirley has had!!! I have not stopped reading since then.

In short (OK, maybe I passed by short a while back), I found reading when I was given the choice of what I wanted to read. I developed my own strategy to be a comprehensive reader. So, I agree with Mr. Gallagher: assign students SOME difficult yet classical reading but let them also read for enjoyment. Take time to analyze the text but let them read at their own pace, which they find enjoyable, without distraction. Afterwards, discuss what they read to define their comprehension.

I also laughed when Mr. Gallagher was talking about the teaching guide for To Kill a Mockingbird being half the size of the book. Can we talk about too many experts/consultants having a little too much free time on their hands???? He was SO CORRECT about this!

2 comments:

  1. I would have to agree with you when it comes to reading. I enjoy to do it when I have the choice to read something that interests me. I also thought TV was much better than reading. I too would liked the reading cources where you had the option of choice rather than being forced to read something of no interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read this chapter the thought paralyzation by analyzation came to mind. I agree with Gallagher that we over analyze these books and therefore take all the enjoyment out for the students. Let them read and enjoy it and if the students truly don't want to stop reading to analyze it for petes sake "LET THEM KEEP READING"!

    ReplyDelete