Sunday, September 12, 2010

I thought I would take notes while reading Chapter 2 of Readicide:

I find it hard to believe that students that are reading All Quiet on the Western Front have no concept of who Al Qaeda is. Although, in reality, that is what is going on in our classes. I talk to my accounting class about the economy on a nearly daily basis because I want them to have an idea about financial literacy and the effect on the world. Most of these students do not even have a basic knowledge of world affairs and most of them are dual enrolled in an AP Economics class. I am proud to report that a lot of these kids are now coming into my class and want to talk about something that they saw or read on the news. They ask my opinion a lot and I do play a point-counterpoint so they are able to evaluate and consider all sides of the story but I do not want to give my opinion because I want them to start outlining their views on life and how they feel about whatever they read. I also encourage them to ask their parents a lot of questions because I strongly believe they are the ones that should have the ultimate influence on their children. I do agree with the author about the fact that these kids will be able to vote in an election with no real grasp on the true issues facing them. Sad, sad, sad.

I slightly disagree with the author about what is available as far as reading materials in the school. I know I am impressed with the variety of choice in our library. We have everything a kid could want on a variety of topics. There are novels for every diverse demographic and many different types of reading material. For instance, they have a wide variety of graphic novels at our school. To some, they may be comic books, but I argue that it is SOMETHING to make a child read. The author suggests that there should also be more challenging books for the children but what he fails to point out is HOW we are going to interest the kids in reading them. I think that is what is great about the Harry Potter phenomenon. The books are not short but the kids will read them. It is like Field of Dreams: You build it, they will come. If you make the books interesting, they will be read.

America's most underrated athlete, Micheal Phelps???? I had to look at the date of publishing. Funny how things change. Great analogy though.

It seems to me that all faculty meetings around the country are the same. They talk more about paperwork rather than hear the teacher's opinions on how to make students learn.

Why, why, why does Mr Gallagher have to bring politics into his book???? There was no reason to bring Senator Stevens into this book other than to show his obvious political view. Once again, I do not like any politicians and they are ALL to blame for this mess we have now. So, unless you are going to criticize all politicians, keep your political slant out of the book. A less political cartoon could have been used.

Mr Gallagher talks about the students who have the least reading experience score less on standardized testing. Honestly, did we need a study to point out the obvious?? The author suggests that these students be given a broader reading experience. Once again, that is obvious but once again, HOW?????? He seems to suggest that if these kids are given All Quiet on the Western Front, they will instantly become better students. In reality, a LOT of these students in high school can barely read Dick and Jane. How can their reading experience get any broader??? That is why they are in the remedial classes that Mr Gallagher seems to have issues with. These students come from backgrounds where their parents do not read and have not brought their children up with the desire to read. In most cases, their friends will not have a healthy influence on them and will discourage them from wanting them to read. HOW ARE YOU GOING TO CONVINCE THEM TO READ?!?!? We need to find a way to interest them in reading. Give them a simple graphic novel that they can relate to. Give them easy reads on subjects that they can relate to. Give them examples of successful adults who came from similar backgrounds that rose to success with education.

OK, just read the section about prior knowledge. This is what I was talking about!!!!! I found it interesting that the author had an instance in his own class where his testing did not relate to a troubled student. Did he not know that FARRIER was on his test??? I loved the story about the two groups of students who read the story on baseball and how the struggling readers comprehended it better (um.................how was it figured out which group did better???........testing.....funny thing). PRIOR KNOWLEDGE AND PERSONAL INTERESTS ARE THE KEY!!!

Great passage: "students "are not allowed to sit and think. They are constantly rammed through a curriculum to see how fast we can move them along." Amen

Pg 44. Finland produces the strongest readers in the world. I remember seeing a news magazine show where they focused on the educational systems of the Scandinavian countries. They go to school for longer hours and they realize the importance of education. The family structure and culture is based upon success in education much like the Asian culture. They interviewed some of the students who were exchange students in America and asked them about their opinion on the American education system. They laughed. Although they were fascinated by the American teen culture, they were not impressed with the educational level and found it hard to believe that America was a superpower country.

The author suggests that one of the solutions is to provide more books that would interest the students. I disagree. I think it is the opposite. We should provide an interest for a student to pick up a book. Find a book and then give the students an outline as a teaser. For instance, I would love to give a teaser about my Book Club book, Crispen. I would talk about how people are trying to chase him and kill him and and he has no idea why. I would also point out that the cross he carries if the key to the mystery. I think students would want to know why this is happening and want to get the book. In short, money is not the solution. As I mentioned in a previous blog, it is the students that come from the poorest countries that have the greatest interest in education. It is the money that provides too many distractions to the students. Perhaps if they lived in a culture with no TV, computers or video games they would have the desire to read but that is our reality and we must deal with it.

I loved the idea of the article of the week. As I stated above, I encourage my students to read the news and it has gotten a lot of them interested in reading it on their own without my assigning it. It really works.

The author talks about summer reading. Our school system requires it but, for the most part, does not follow up on it. The students HATE it for the most part. I have read The Kite Runner and this is not a breezy summer novel. I agree with the author that the book had value but I disagree that students would want to read it (or at least the ones I encounter). I suggested the book The Glass Castle to a student I have that comes from a less than stellar home life. I did not tell this student why I suggested it but told him that this would show him that anyone could become a success. However, the book deals with a girl who had a horrible home life yet grew up to value education and realized it was her escape. Great book and true story.

Overall, interesting chapter but I would argue that the author is only pointing out the obvious in most cases. Hopefully, he will start focusing on realistic solutions.

I do have to say that I have thought A LOT MORE about the things I can do in my classes to encourage reading. As I discussed above, I think I already concentrate on it but I want to focus a little more that I currently do. I guess this course does have a purpose.

1 comment:

  1. Steve -
    Wow! You have alot of good stuff to say! I certainly enjoyed reading your blog - keep it coming. Now, I am not going to address everything, but I do want to comment on two of your comments -
    1. I agree with your statement about weath being a distraction. I think our students do not see a point to education - they do not see it as a pathway to a better life and therefore they see no point.
    2. I love that you recommended the Glass Castle to a student. I LOVE THAT BOOK - (Thanks Dr. Peck!) What an amazing story that relates to our students and provides a unique message. You are correct - our students need to read quality novels to which they can relate, not just what we deem as important historical or literary works. We are losing them with those less-than breezy summer novels. I mean, I had a hard time getting through the Kite Runner... in fact, I think I quit reading it after a few chapters.

    ReplyDelete