Sunday, November 14, 2010

This will probably be the last post on this blog. I have certainly enjoyed this and may set up a blog for my own personal experience.

I just finished the Assessment learning module and that brought up so many thoughts and comments. I love the idea of performance testing, but that opens up a whole new can of worms that I do not think anyone is willing to do. First, it will make the students have to actually open their minds and think outside the box. Perhaps the students in the videos can accomplish this but it has not been successful in my classes. I give nothing but performance tests but the kids HATE it because they have been doing multiple choice for so long. I think a lot of teachers have gotten into this rut because it is much easier to do. Hey, I would love to work with scantrons, but I would not get a proper assessment that way.

Next, how would we do performance testing on a large skill, such as an SAT???? Also, how can you make sure that it is an even and fair assessment over the whole entire test population? Performance testing is opinion based and one teacher or proctor will be different than another. At least with multiple choice you get a concrete and absolute result.

One thing is for certain and that is the point that has been driven home this semester. The wheelbarrow is broken and it does not seem that there will be a fix anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment