Sunday, August 29, 2010

I really, really liked the video in this week's module: The Classroom Mosaic: Culture and Learning. I loved the project where the kids had to research their family history and they all discovered the "celebrities" they came from such as the kid whose forefather had his own orchestra with Count Basie as a member or the other child who boasted James Buchanan as a part of their tree.

I also loved the Middle Eastern mother who brought her story to class. OK, it wasn't the greatest prose in the world, but the heartfelt pride behind it made up for this fact. Also, I was amazed at the kids listening to the gentleman who was explaining why the people in the Middle East could not vote a solution in.

Also, I was inspired by the teacher (Kathleen Hays Parvin) who taught the memoir module. She loves what she does and it shows.

I would encourage everyone to read the article Khmer rap boys, X-Men, Asia’s fruits, and Dragonball Z: Creating multilingual and multimodal classroom contexts. This wrapped up the whole entire point of the module this week. They were kids from every culture you could imagine but the teacher was able to reach them on their own level of understanding. OK, I like X Men too so that may have had something to do with my affinity for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment